Saturday, October 29, 2005

The Art of the Scare

I haven't posted in a while, but that doesn't mean nothing's happening. It's just been all about the unglamorous task of finishing the post production on this beast.

We've been fine-tuning the music and trying to make the scares as big as possible. You know, I've been a filmmaker for a while now, working on all sorts of productions, and I never realized or fully appreciated the art and science of scaring people. It is a science and I am becoming a student of it. My textbooks are other scary movies and in particular Bravo's TV special "100 Scariest Movie Moments," which is running again this Halloween week.

I now appreciate that every scare that works is carefully crafted and executed. It's not so easy. Personally, I'm not that good a test audience since I've never been scared that easily by movies. So I sit in the edit bay and experiment, cutting it different ways, testing different music, different sound effects until the day I can test it out on someone and make them jump.

Last night I screened a scene for Denise, one she's seen a hundred times. She jumped for the first time at a new sound effect I put in there. I never even imagined that it was that scary a scene.

Back to the edit bay. I'm inspired now to scare as many people as I can, as often as I can!

More later
Gregg

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home